|The Friends of
|Return to map|
Green Drive, which cuts straight through the forest, was created in 1710 by the Duke of Newcastle by warrant of Queen Anne. Around this time the Forest of Birklands was passing from Crown ownership to the 3rd Duke of Newcastle. On his death these lands attached to the Welbeck estate passed to his daughter Henrietta who later married Edward Harley, Earl of Oxford. Their daughter Margaret married the 2nd Duke of Portland and consequently Birklands came under the control of the Dukes of Portland. Around 1825 the 4th Duke negotiated with Earl Manvers of the Thoresby Estate for the exchange of the eastern part of Birklands for lands closer to his Welbeck estate.
View looking west from Clipstone Drive
For more information see our Research Record