|The Friends of
|Return to map|
Compartment including oaks descended from the Greendale Oak
The Duke of Portland’s planting records describes how this compartment was planted with 'plants raised from acorns from the Greendale Oak’. The Greendale Oak was a notable ancient tree near Welbeck Abbey that was reputed to have a girth of over 35 feet. As a result of a wager in 1724 an opening was cut through its trunk large enough for a carriage, or three horsemen abreast, to pass through it. The descendants of this tree may still be seen growing in this compartment adjoining Clipstone Drive.
For more information see our Research Record