|The Friends of
|Return to map|
The conifers planted here enhanced the view from the drive between Welbeck and Birklands for the Dukes of Portland and their guests as they travelled along Lady Anne’s Drive between Welbeck Abbey and the pleasure grounds of Birklands. there are several different unusual conifer species along this stretch. There is evidence of the Dukes’ impact elsewhere in Birklands; we have already passed the grove of yews planted near Thynghowe although the Russian Log Hut that that was purchased by the 6th Duke in 1874 and erected near the Green Drive was demolished in 1954. Local people can still recall the Duke of Portland driving into the forest along the tarmac road in an electric car.
For more information see our Research Record