|The Friends of
|Return to map|
These parallel earth banks mark the site of one on the many ammunition stores that were located in Sherwood Forest during the 2nd World War. The earth was dug from a nearby pit. The army requisitioned Birklands on 12th March 1942 and remained until the 1960s.
These sketches by Graham Burton show the appearance of these stores when in use.
For more information see our Research Record