|The Friends of
|Return to map|
Similar in style to the Budby Forest stone it is also on the boundary between Warsop and Budby but it could also have marked an older boundary. The 1816 perambulation account recounts that “We then proceeded in a southwesterly direction skirting the ancient wood of Birkland Bilhaugh which is to our left about a quarter of a mile is a Boundary Stone and turning towards the right is another boundary Stone whereon a W is carved on the side next Warsop thence along the North West side until we arrived at a place called Hanger Hill”. We had presumed this stone to be lost as it did not appear on any maps and we had looked for these stones without success. However we found this stone in February 2010 during one of our regular winter sessions when we take advantage of the lack of ground vegetation in the winter months to find and record features in the Forest . By following the exact line of the boundary despite the brambles we came upon this old stone although the Warsop boundary stone marked with a ‘W’ is no longer there.
For more information see our Research Record